Monday, June 20, 2005

AOL Sucks!!

This is such bull - I tried to send email and AOL won't let me to certain people, saying that one or more of the links I sent are generating complaints - I linked to a NASA site and to metafilter.com I tried it again without the link showing where I heard about this moon thing and it still didn't work. Click on the "AOL Sucks" title and it'll send you to the error I got. Apparently, AOL doesn't want NASA links being sent - they're keeping you from getting too smart, I suppose. lol Wonder if it would let me send an "anti-AOL" link. Yet snowball fights and angel hugs are ok.
Anyway, this stuff is too cool for me to let AOL keep you from hearing about it. So I figured I'd just post on my blog and email you guys to let you know to check the blog. Unreal.
Here's what I wanted you to see - Moon at its lowest point in 18 years
You can find the time of moonrise here Moonrise Times

Ok - so I just called AOL - I wanted answers and couldn't let it rest. lol Turns out, I didn't remove the metafilter link entirely, and that's why it was bouncing back. Still not a good reason as far as I'm concerned - really, metafilter, a really cool, interesting and usually intelligent website gets complaints, but hamsterdance is allowed to run rampant??! Hooter cancer indeed! I've actually emailed the admin at metafilter to let them know - yes, it's trivial and I know the site owner has a lot better things to do, but AOL must be stopped and any way I can help that, I will. lol (wow, I'm not as crazy as I sound, just anti-random-censorship).
Further update - a discussion of this on Metafilter's discussion forum, MetaTalk

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have way too much time on your hands!

2:31 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

Nahh - just trying to avoid working for a bit.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey... I just recently worked for AOL's postmaster group. The url your referring to (metafilter.com) was blocked. Meaning any email with a link to a metafilter.com URL would be blocked. Sounds like they had many complaints back in 2003 on this URL. I talked to some folks over there and had it removed for you guys. The block should be about around 10am EST 6/21/05.

I orginally saw the large thread over at metafilter... but couldn't post a comment due to a $5 registration fee (sorry, wasn't $5 committed to letting you guys know the problem was fixed).

They really did have enough complaints in 2003 to justify a firm block. I think it was a fair move on their part. I'll check this site throughout the day if you have any questions.

-Brian.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Christie said...

Thanks Brian. I appreciate you taking care of it.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Matt Haughey said...

That's really odd, anonymous AOL postmater person.

Why would people complain about a community blog/discussion board site? The site exists to simply link to interesting places and discuss them.

I never send out email, there's no email functionality available on the server aside from getting your forgotten passwords resent.

I'm curious what other sites are deemed offensive by members and blackballed by AOL.

(Matt, guy that runs MetaFilter)

8:57 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

Brian? Don't leave us hanging here! You hold the key to unraveling AOLs great miseries....um...mysteries.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I really prefer to do my own filtering. I'm all growed up now :)

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home